Hard disks, solid state drives

HDD, SSDForum → Discussion of the article: "HP ProLiant MicroServer: the device and tests"

Discussion of the article: "HP ProLiant MicroServer: the device and tests"

Pages: 1 2 3
06.07.2011 11:35:00
I propose to discuss the HP ProLiant MicroServer: unit tests and
This piece of hardware - a very serious offer: well-known brand, a guarantee of stability and support.
Good Configuration, and most importantly - adequate price!
I do not agree that the attached hard drive is not needed, it is perfect for the role of the system-root Hardy. Just stick it in another housing department

well written article, I especially liked the idea of ​​installing additional. hard drives! Our man (IMHO this chassis can cram July 3, 5 "green screws series, with optional controller. Judging by the photos, the compartment 5, 25," has a height sufficient for a couple of 3, 5 "?)
06.07.2011 11:58:00
7 not 7, but 6 put.

HP ProLiant MicroServer: almost turnkey solution for a home server

however, began to shout propeller now (operation from January 2011, uptime - 67 days).
though not very loud, but the night is heard well.
winter - which was quieter.
software out there is not controlled by Carlson - all by itself, on firmvari level.

quote ():
internal formatting is able to eat up to 200 GB of storage space!
and it's like?
06.07.2011 12:09:00
The author of the article is still in the camera only a cell phone?
06.07.2011 13:07:00

system on a flash drive, and no problem!
06.07.2011 13:15:00
Yes, the "extra" drives - only patched bios. . .
06.07.2011 14:02:00
All right. Right now I will beat a favorite author feet Site . For six months, then it was possible to write a better article. . . From the observed:
quote:
but for AMD system has a single-channel memory (especially mobile chipset)
1. At what chipset here?
2. If you read http: // www. amd. com / us / Documents / 48243_ASB2_Platform_Brief_web. pdf - she suddenly dual channel. In Hyulettovskih docks also references two channels meet.
quote:
Number Serial ATA ports 5 1 SATA + eSATA
1xSFF-8087 1 + 1 SATA + eSATA
quote:
number of ports USB 2. 0 4 front, 4 rear, 1 inside
4 front, 2 rear, 1 inside
quote:
ie even feeble psevdoigrovoy video card can not dream
general 54xx and 64xx may well meet, there are examples in the branch.
quote:
set the port speed eSATA (1, 5, 3, 0 Gbit / s)
speed for all ports is set. Plus - an option "Auto" More and 6, 0 Gbit / s means.
quote:
point here, obviously, is that the AMD system operating frequency of the Northbridge and HT-link is 1 GHz, has a positive effect on the rate of exchange with memory
Here tell me, where does the HT ?

And where the story about IPMI? The board even optional, but complete with virtual media and virtual kvm, which is pretty good for this level of the server.
06.07.2011 16:18:00
Pieces dvatsat such work in clusters under Debian-ohm on KVM + heartbeat. Pretty good economic performance solution. Integrated Raid better to disable and use mdadm-th.
06.07.2011 17:32:00
we are at work sold for 3,500 piece
had to take)
06.07.2011 19:35:00
dual (plus Hyper-Threading) processor Intel Atom D330
may be all the same just Atom 330 ? http: // ark. intel. com / ProductCollection. aspx? familyId = 29035
D330 still not vyuskaetsya

as well - you can start the next holivar proprietary Sun hardware samosbor
06.07.2011 20:07:00
Pretty good it is written. From the comments:
- photo motherboard I have turned 180 degrees (by the way, I assume that the appointment of two strange PCIe slots will be described later)

- under the star-shaped screwdriver
such screws are called Torx http: // en. wikipedia. org / wiki / Torx

striking absence of normal video and audio outputs - adaptive reasoning is quite limiting, in my opinion. I understand, "server", but it's a home server, and start another device to connect to your TV - IMHO irrationally. Less CPU consumption is curtailed quite controversial, because at Athlone board may also consume about 10-20 watts at low loading. And all the rest being iron unremarkable, except for non-standard power supply with a small (noisy under load?) Fan inside. And, if we are talking about servers that do not see places to install filters on the fans. In typical conditions, the "post-scoop" it would not be superfluous.

By the way, it would be really helpful to estimate / assess the value and functionality of a typical "samosbora" for similar purposes.
06.07.2011 22:14:00
By the way, it would be really helpful to estimate / assess the value and functionality of a typical "samosbora" for similar purposes.
so easily, that's what I gathered 2 months ago by faylohranilische + torentokachalku 24 \\ 7, prices in Minsk (Belarus)

MB - Zotac IONITX-G-E http: // www. zotacusa. com / zotac-ionitx-g-e-synergy-ato ... -motherboard. html - 101
RAM - 2GB Kingston DDR2-6400 (from the quality list "a ZOTAC) - 31
HDD - 2 pcs Hitachi SATA-III 2Tb Deskstar 5K3000 (HDS5C3020ALA632) 5400RPM 32Mb 6Gb / s - 152 2 pcs
housing - CFI F9849 http: // www dont ru / CFI-CFI-A9849CC-P-miniITX-Black-2 ... 25) id13353 html - 55
TOTAL:..... 339
06.07.2011 23:31:00

striking absence of normal video and audio outputs - adaptive reasoning is quite limiting, in my opinion.
most normal for the server there, albeit optional. RJ45 .
trimmed Less CPU consumption is controversial, because the board under Athlone too, can consume 10-20 watts at low loading. This
at full load is less than 20 eating. Standard for AM2 / 3 - TDP of 45 watts minimum. Plus - if you want to, and the other under ASB2 percent soldered simply Hewlett is only one offer (although the server was designed precisely under more TDP).
And, if we are talking about servers that do not see places to install filters on the fans.
Front panel copes, there is also a mesh inside.
way, assuming that the appointment of two strange PCIe slots will be described later
Here it .

so easily, that's what I gathered 2 months ago by faylohranilische
no analogues well, never. Even if we forget about the ECC, IPMI and the number of slots - the board of NV is not the best choice. Network RAID and leave much. . .
06.07.2011 23:45:00
Thanks for the solidarity.

attached hard drive is perfect for the role of the system-root Hardy
IMHO in more or less decent server system partition is better to put on a mirror.

compartment 5, 25, "has a height sufficient for a couple of 3, 5"
Yes, 58 mm. That's why I wrote about 7 of Hardy potential.

Cellular these photos do not do.

1xSFF-8087 1 + 1 SATA + eSATA
should not be confused ports (electronic concept) and connectors (design concept). The text of the article in this respect, all clearly painted. By the way, and SATA connectors within the same server 5, as it comes with an adapter with a nominally 1xSFF-8087 to 4 SATA and the user does not have to puzzle over the connector Mini-SAS. Table - characteristic is not itself a parent board server and the server only in the complex.

general 54xx and 64xx may well meet, there are examples in the branch.
25 watts under full-load 3D? I would not risk it, because even AMD claims to have slightly more power values. I measured consumption at full HD 5450 3D-load (FurMark), I did it at the peak of about 30-33 watts on the card itself. And in 5450/6450 (and others simply will not do) I would not dare call psevdoigrovymi. Very much they are weak in 3D. And there, they do not de weak, and built-in HD 4200 copes fine, put the card there is no sense.

speed for all ports is set.
manually in BIOS Setup - only eSATA (one for the standard version of BIOS, which I tested).

For the rest, "your feet" Thanks, corrected. also added tests in dual-channel memory mode.
By the way, AMD tehsapport article looked and stocks data from the "chipset" somehow not noticed.

may be all the same just Atom 330
Yeah, thank you, a relic of communication with D4hh / 5xx.
general, Intel's high time to kill their pandemonium with the model designation (especially in the low-cost processors Clan). Whatever the new series, the new "rules".

can start another holivar proprietary Sun hardware samosbor
here - do not.

photo motherboard I have turned 180 degrees
But I think this view is optimal (in the isometric view of the visible connectors on both sides).
(zalinkovanny enlarged view of full face, I turned to writing easy to read )

such screws are called Torx
We write in Russian. And in Russian they all called star-shaped.

In typical conditions, the "post-scoop" it would not be superfluous.
Well, except that postsovka. I do not mind, but HP postsovok put on. Vaughn even electrolytes are left on the server board that postsovka more critical.

It is very individual. And did it many times. You can collect and NAS for $ 50 (without drives), if want.

Cellular these photos do not do.

It can be seen that the FED. Since then scanned blank attached to the HP S20.
07.07.2011 0:06:00

It can be seen that the FED
If you really were fotospetsom, you would understand that it is "just something" in the absence of the "umbrella" of lighting studio. Other within tolerance.
07.07.2011 0:08:00

No offense. Photos not.
07.07.2011 0:15:00

If you really were fotospetsom

I do not pretend to fotospetsa, but just stating the fact that the photos - no. . . Or in the Red Army.
07.07.2011 0:22:00

No offense. Photos not.
Yes, I do not take offense, but I do them for free. might not do so in detail, and a common view and a rear view confine.

Actually "unimportant" photo only two - a common species of the black body, where lighting is difficult to find, to work through the black shell structure of the coating. The rest of the photos are quite normal.
07.07.2011 0:22:00

I measured HD 5450 consumption at full 3D-load (FurMark), I did it at the peak of about 30-33 watts on the card itself.
There is nuance. What 5450 that 6450 there are versions with different memory. Depending on this consumption can vary very significantly - in 6450 with DDR3 25W fits with the stock, but with of GDDR5 - significantly climbs. Well, plus, depending on the specific implementation differences between cards can be - especially in the low-end, where the fee simple and any city that wants .
manually in BIOS Setup - only eSATA (one for the standard version of BIOS, which I tested).
In the version of the BIOS, this option there is not much affected - 5-6 ports (eSATA - 6th) - firmly driven into the IDE emulation. Speed ​​record is not set, but . And in my opinion - it is a problem, you can forget about any port expanders for eSATA.

way, and SATA connectors within the same server 5, as it comes with an adapter with a nominally 1xSFF-8087 to 4 SATA and the user does not have to puzzle over the connector Mini-SAS.
OK . But then again - IMHO, it is worth noting the standard for SAS-controller connector. For normal installation hardware controller is as simple as ever - to pull the motherboard, plug the controller when reassembling plug the cable into the controller, not the mother. Do not repeat my mistakes - do not take the controller ports on top of the board. Promise And do not put - remote management card of his vile and unpredictable dislikes . Well in advance and consider how collective farms fan - advanced RAID-blowing stoves are missing.
And there, de they are not weak, and built-in HD 4200 copes fine, put the card there is no sense.
HDMI + sound. . . For alterations to a home theater - the most it. I do not support, IMHO - the server does not have to turn the video, but some collected .
By the way, AMD tehsapport article viewed and data stocks with "chipset" somehow not noticed.
Kirill said that the notice . However - the platform is a very rare and non-standard, and can make mistakes all
07.07.2011 0:34:00

There is nuance. What 5450 that 6450 there are versions with different memory.
I looked consumption 5450 with passive cooling and gddr3. However, what's the difference - it's still not psevdoigrovye card. Run them any modern toy is not killed at all quality settings, and all will become clear. And Kwaku and HD4200 can play normally. And not only in Kwaku.

Kirill said that the notice
noticed, but it is not.

but some collected
Well, in the case of HP MicroServer - this is an obvious distortion.

IMHO, it is worth noting the standard for SAS-controller connector
IMHO, it is initially in the article and was registered.

not take the controller ports on top of the board. Promise And do not put
And it should give to branch discussions in large print.
07.07.2011 2:31:00
I did not take Mikroserver due to lack of complete IPMI. Charges still to look ($ 100), also is the regular version of the software, not to move forward with Virtual Media (that another 200 bucks).
As a result, he has collected at Supermicro. I was hoping to read what I missed, not buying Microserver, but still could not see anything other than the size and support for ECC.
07.07.2011 12:37:00

also is a common version of the software, not to move forward with Virtual Media (that another 200 bucks).
Why would all of a sudden? There's Virtual media standard.
07.07.2011 12:50:00

system on a flash drive, and no problem!
Then, at a minimum, to cut off the swap - he quickly ruin the stick. And it is better not to mess with the flash memory, especially designed for the home market segment. (I read somewhere that corporate stick a few more resources are overwritten)

MB - Zotac IONITX-G-E
IMHO, it is better not to mess with the motherboard, have mini-fans. It's too fast they gain the dust and stop. Often ugly start to howl.
I prefer fanless models - they have guaranteed cooling throughout the entire service life, silent and no need to once a year to disassemble a server to replace the cooler.

start another device to connect to the TV - will be much more interesting - irrationally
That is, if you only have one TV IMHO
This servachok - almost perfect NAS, connect the network several penny inexpensive bezhardovyh network media player ! Because he and no HDMI!

IMHO in a more or less decent server system partition is better to put on a mirror.
Almost agree Home NAS - to them (decent servers) does not apply, as maintained by untrained people (maximum - the level of the advanced user). IMHO, Reid any level they are contraindicated. It is much clearer to people a normal backup (once a week), small physical image of the system drive. For example, on any of the mounted thereto giant main data discs. Or, turn on various Compared with a mirror, it is much more resistant to soft-"vzbrykam" and viral "Vagrants" that any Reid can not be restored and which are much more likely than iron breakdown.

Anyway, where normal people home "extra" drives? ! I, for example, backup media houses decided to simply: regularly share them with friends. If what I have everything back sleepin

Promise not put
Hmm. . . it seems the results of attempts to use the Home Server in the office. . . Savings, of course, the right thing, but then why not cheap promays? Hardware reyd5?
So as for the office and need nimble Hardy series and cooling them further. All together, it will load much a piece of iron on the heat and food - not great, too small a box for it, and the power supply fails - there is no duplication with rasparalelivaniem load, to replace immediately and not buy. Oh dumb something in the office to keep him.

PS In truth, "last resort" does not pretend all naroslo from my own experience and the experience of colleagues.
07.07.2011 13:35:00

Together with the server or card?
07.07.2011 14:10:00

All together, it will load much a piece of iron on the heat and food - not great, a bit small box for this
correct HBA and boxes do not have this drawback.
07.07.2011 14:48:00

correct HBA and boxes do not have this drawback.
housing for your reference, not intended to stand without fault-tolerant power supply, with the same number of coolers, is no different from the discussion.
correct - wrong - all this is very concerning. Watch necessary for what and how much. For home NAS - they are both correct. For the office - are both wrong.
Well SAS controller to take home You do not beguiled?
07.07.2011 15:19:00

housing for your reference, not intended rack
Sabzh also not intended.

failover without power, with the same number of coolers, is no different from the discussion.
Except that it is not the body, and the external connection box for 4 HDD.

Well SAS controller to take home
If you were more careful, you would see that this SAS / SATA-controller with 2 external ports.

You do not beguiled?
No.
07.07.2011 15:32:00

Together with the server or card?
Map essno.
07.07.2011 15:45:00
Added mikroservera tests with dual channel memory: http: // www. ixbt. com / storage / hp-microserver-p1a. shtml
07.07.2011 17:03:00
This server does not raid 5?
07.07.2011 17:08:00

chipset - no. But it is easy to make in the operating system, and will be almost no raznichy. More information about this is written in the second part of the review.
07.07.2011 17:09:00

No. And there is nothing to do feykovye RAID5 servers, even micro format.
07.07.2011 18:15:00

And there is nothing to do feykovye RAID5 servers micro format.

tovarischu Apparently unaware that almost all neenterprayznyh NAS (Synology, QNAP, Thecus and others) RAID5 a soft-pure - made software under Linux. It is quite acceptable for this price and consumer groups working. For home and small office to buy an expensive controller hardware rating for RAID5 / 6 irrationally. All the same, what to put in the NAS a dual-processor Xeon high frequency.
07.07.2011 18:21:00

Thank you for the clarification.
And when it will be possible to read the second part?
07.07.2011 18:26:00
Apparently, the guys a few days ago it posted on the main page (it was ready even before the first one).
08.07.2011 10:27:00

But it is easy to make in the operating system, and will be almost no raznichy
difference is in favor of the linux native.
08.07.2011 11:30:00

native, in my opinion, can only be called a hardware implemented process.
Everything that has been done in software - the standard operating system utility, a third-party program that does not matter - the so called "software solution".
08.07.2011 11:40:00

see, "Hardware Raid" is the same software * nix-based solution, but on a separate processor. In practice, a modern CPU to cope with "a soft-Raid" and dm-crypt-th top completely without any consequences, even under heavy load and there is no radical difference with external solutions to conditionally, thousands of dollars. But this is my opinion. I think there are others.

But I is that it is not necessary to use the built-in driver Raed. They perform worse than the standard.
11.07.2011 5:58:00

recently posted on its home page
If only the server has filled in, would pochtitali those who know
11.07.2011 9:08:00
Keep
!
Give information already, and if editors feel that the main page article is too early, let them edit.
We then corrected version revered
11.07.2011 11:18:00
I would like to lighting receive IPMI work lighting.
11.07.2011 18:25:00

I would like coverage of IPMI
He is not afraid of the dark . In short - board with AST2150, full vMedia (the ability to mount ISO "Schnick from the local machine through the network as a CD) and vKVM (full control over the network up to the BIOS) A little monitoring, sending mail to the Alert..
11.07.2011 19:18:00

I would like to illuminate
11.07.2011 19:25:00

This requires a separate fee?
to the board requires a separate license?

Thanks, grammar nazi, where I without you!
11.07.2011 19:27:00

Thanks, grammar nazi, where I without you!

Grammar Nazi For the answer!
11.07.2011 19:38:00

This requires a separate fee?
Yes, in the same strange slot.
to the board requires a separate license?
No, I do not know who invented about her.
11.07.2011 19:41:00

Yes, in the same strange slot.

What board called exactly Prompt, and what it takes?
11.07.2011 19:47:00

called - 615095-B21 . In the area of ​​$ 100.
11.07.2011 20:25:00

sending mail to the Alert.

By the way, I would like to see the person who operates it I'm talking about access to smtp c password. Made purely for show

The rest - the difference, for example, between Dell-DRAC-ovsky modules with which I deal in corporate parties, by and large, I do not see. Full system ipmi / kvm
That's really what the client part. . . Browsers (Firefox 3, for example) stubbornly wants to download the client zhabokod as a file zagazhivaya Download folder. . . But after a dozen connections Memory kompovoy Zhabamashiny ends and it falls with a crash At Dell is no such course
11.07.2011 20:49:00

Understood, thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3
HDD, SSDForum → Discussion of the article: "HP ProLiant MicroServer: the device and tests"

Discussion of the article: "HP ProLiant MicroServer: the device and tests"

info@www.hdd-and-ssd.com