Hard disks, solid state drives

HDD, SSDForum → External hard drive for use with a laptop (USB / eSATA / IEEE1394)

External hard drive for use with a laptop (USB / eSATA / IEEE1394)

Pages: 1 2
04.12.2009 14:53:00
There is a desire to have an external hard drive for use with a laptop, mainly for backup, storage, plus what the film type used does not use.

If you have any tips or recommendations that it would be grateful.

Specific questions are:

1. How big is the difference between them (complete solutions)?
2. Does it make sense to buy a box (a) and the screw alone (which, do not need a huge size, 250-350gb, and can be 500 GB, if the price of normal (interested optimum price / GB))?
3. What are the necessary interface (in the laptop in my USB and 1394), but an old laptop that is now here on standards (in which oriented interface)?
4. what are the pitfalls / nuances

price setting

Thanks in advance

Supplement: may consider IEEE1394, variations in branch
04.12.2009 15:20:00
1. slim.
2. If you like to tinker, and are not afraid of potential rake, something about the external boxes have specialized topics. I would have bought a ready drive.
3. USB is more than enough. Especially if you plan to use the laptop on navorochat where you can use e-sata.
4. If the search and pick, they can be a million. But everything is quite simple in everyday life. Weeds are, but rarely.

If will carry with noutom better watch 2, 5 "- the notebooks drives stronger ones in mechanical terms and the power usually further require (although some models are powered by the two USB ports - port power for promotion drive is not always enough)..
04.12.2009 19:45:00

Quick Search Forums taxis.
04.12.2009 20:28:00
quote:
:
1. slim.
2. If you like to tinker, and are not afraid of potential rake, something about the external boxes have specialized topics. I would have bought a ready drive.
3. USB is more than enough. Especially if you plan to use the laptop on navorochat where you can use e-sata.
4. If the search and pick, they can be a million. But everything is quite simple in everyday life. Weeds are, but rarely.

If will carry with noutom better watch 2, 5 "- the notebooks drives stronger ones in mechanical terms and the power usually further require (although some models are powered by the two USB ports - port power for promotion drive is not always enough)..

Thank

C 1-2 into account not advise a complete solution?
----
3. what eSata gives a prize to the USB and when it interesting?
Alternatively I can buy that sounded eSata adapter.
4. Clearly
----
I tend still at 2. 5 ", 3. 5 winnings incomprehensible" here (in small quantities)

quote:
:

Quick Search Forums taxis.

Thank you. Definitely taxis, explore
04.12.2009 22:50:00
Interesting question

If you have this drive to work, then everything will be not so rosy (line a USB2. 0 does not support, this is not 1394). Yes, and I see no reason for the asker to save on the rejection of eSATA azhno as much as 400 rubles.
05.12.2009 1:20:00

3. What eSata gives a prize to the USB and when is it interesting?

Speeds eSATA disk speed is directly podklyuchёnnnogo In t. E. For modern hard drives up to 110. 130 MB / s (and other goodies - to the extent that can be fully loaded with it). The velocity on USB-2. 0 - max & lt; 35 MB / s, but in reality - usually more than 20 MB / s

Well, when you're interested - consider themselves.

Keeping in mind that not all computers have the ability to connect on an eSATA, but all [the last 5 years] is a USB-2. 0; therefore, even if the main mode is the eSATA mode, there are two interfaces is preferred.
05.12.2009 16:15:00

Yes, and I see no reason for the asker to save
possible. But for the problems described above, it is of little interest.
In fact, I'm not against Esat, only the author [probably] be useful to 2, 5 disc where ECAT only rarely encountered. 3. If 5, then it is of course yes. . .
05.12.2009 19:21:00

useful is 2, 5 disc where ECAT just not often found

Long time did you on the price did not go to nove. . .
The above statement does is typical for BU.
05.12.2009 20:02:00

Well, show the same placer 2. 5 "ECAT ready drives (not ketayskih korobchenok)
Seagate and WD have none, in the center of the piano is not in the price -. Further digging is not particularly interesting, but perhaps someone does.. .
06.12.2009 0:20:00
quote:
:
interesting question

If you have this drive to work, then everything will be not so rosy (line a USB2. 0 does not support, this is not 1394). Yes, and I see no reason for the asker to save on the rejection of eSATA azhno as much as 400 rubles.

400r difference between what and what, that is the question? . . . (No specific models are not very clear about what I mean)

quote:
:

Well, show the same placer 2. 5 "ECAT ready drives (not ketayskih korobchenok)
Seagate and WD have none, in the center of the piano is not in the price -. Further digging is not particularly interesting, but perhaps someone does.. .

Apparently this is not a finished disk with eSata, but the boxes.
06.12.2009 16:38:00

400r difference between what and what, that is the question? . . . (No specific models are not very clear about what I mean)

it is about the difference m-do "neighboring" models of boxes of any vendor with USB + eSATA and USB only.

Apparently this is not a finished disk with eSata, but the boxes.

Exactly. Separately purchased metal (care about the quality of cooling that the inside) the box USB + eSATA and 2, 5 "SATA screw with minimum consumption

quote:.
:

Long time did you on the price at the nove not go.. .
well, show the same placer 2. 5 "ECAT ready drives (not ketayskih korobchenok).
Seagate and WD have none, in the center of the piano in the price there - further digging is not particularly interesting, but perhaps someone does. . .

No, I'm not about ready to trash it lead. I'm talking about the fact that most do.
06.12.2009 16:57:00
clear / unclear
clear idea of ​​the total, about what exactly it is not clear (eg some screws for such things are optimal)
boxes with the same kind of porridge

present during the examination of the situation caught the options and IEEE1394:
http: // www. nix. ru / autocatalog / hdd_accessories_sarote ... 94_USB_36320. html
http: // www. raidsonic. de / de / pages / products / external_c ...? we_objectID = 5479
far as this option is reasonable
And what screw under these boxes optimally to buy?

06.12.2009 18:18:00

far as this option is reasonable
IEEE1394
Pretty little sense. Unless fayrvayr not 800, which again is very rare.

I'm talking about the fact that most do.
Then attentively read something with which to argue and formula thoughts more clearly.

If you want to dig deeper (and maybe have sex), read specialized topics:
Discussion outer container for 3. 5 "HDD
Discussion outer containers 2. 5" HDD
But it does not make sense for your application - go to shop and buy an increase of coloring and guarantee a better fit.
06.12.2009 18:49:00
quote:
:
(eg some screws for such things are optimal)
Any, with the lowest starting current, and indeed with the lowest power consumption, this is true in all cases, the use of the screw in the pits. Specific models: Fujitsu MJA2xxxBH, Hitachi 5K500. B, Toshiba MKxx63GSX or MKhh55GSX (xxx at Fuji, and Toshiba have xx, indicate the size). Almost all of these are the persons involved in this review .
That's about the interface box is difficult to say. . . About 1394 have said above. About an eSATA, it from your machine probably not, but if there is an ExpressCard slot, you can tie the "controller" of this type or such .
Another question - how it should be? ! The answer depends on what tasks you plan to use an external Hardy. If you like writing, problems are reduced to backup / faylopomoyki, the normal usb enough for the eyes and the sense to spend money on additional eSATA, and 1394 is no, KMC, we can restrict the purchase of cheap (from 250rub to 300rub) AgeStar box. Solutions, I even do not like, and do not speak about them.
06.12.2009 19:26:00

Pretty little sense

It is not just about the interface speed.

If this does not blunt the backup (ie. E. Also be used as a full-fledged external drive, not just serial copying of files), then 1394a will work better.

Then read it attentively,

you carefully give advice, chtoli. . .
06.12.2009 19:27:00
quote:
:
quote:
:
(eg some screws for such things are optimal)
Any, with the lowest starting current, and indeed with the lowest power consumption, this is true in all cases, the use of the screw in the pits . Specific models: Fujitsu MJA2xxxBH, Hitachi 5K500. B, Toshiba MKxx63GSX or MKhh55GSX (xxx at Fuji, and Toshiba have xx, indicate the size). Almost all of these are the persons involved in this review .
That's about the interface box is difficult to say. . . About 1394 have said above. About an eSATA, it from your machine probably not, but if there is an ExpressCard slot, you can tie the "controller" of this type or such .
Another question - how it should be? ! The answer depends on what tasks you plan to use an external Hardy. If you like writing, problems are reduced to backup / faylopomoyki, the normal usb enough for the eyes and the sense to spend money on additional eSATA, and 1394 is no, KMC, we can restrict the purchase of cheap (from 250rub to 300rub) AgeStar box. Solutions, I even do not like, and do not speak about them.

About screws - thank you very much, the situation is more / less clear, a review will look into.
eSata I do not have a slot is and I voiced about the adapter, the question whether it is necessary to understand. To work with this screw as the screw is not expected soon. With boxes of problems (incompatibility of what is) and how likely differ from cheap expensive boxes. Regarding
1394 - they began to think in the context that it teorioticheski more complete than USB interface
06.12.2009 20:03:00

If
task list given in the first post.

Regarding 1394 - they began to think in the context that it teorioticheski more complete interface than USB
It can be different. One option that is usually shoved everywhere, if more bright yusb, then without a microscope it does not see. But much less universal.
06.12.2009 20:35:00
quote:
:

If
task list given in the first post.

Regarding 1394 - they began to think in the context that it teorioticheski more complete interface than USB
It can be different. One option that is usually shoved everywhere, if more bright yusb, then without a microscope it does not see. But much less universal.

I IBM / Lenovo Z60m laptop, everything is normal. Well, there are two USB / 1394.
bow to precast solution (screw + box), the screw-type Fujitsu MJA2320BH, c boxing has not yet decided (do not know if I will give something extra boxing is not for 250r).

For recommendations (for screws / box) be grateful.
06.12.2009 20:46:00

everything is normal. Well, there are two USB / 1394.
Both normal in 1394. But only one fast.
http: // ru. wikipedia. org / wiki / IEEE_1394
06.12.2009 21:22:00
quote:
:

everything is normal. Well, there are two USB / 1394.
Both normal in 1394. But only one fast.
http: // ru. wikipedia. org / wiki / IEEE_1394

thanks, information about the fact that a more advanced version of the 1394 is not found
06.12.2009 23:27:00

As has been rightly pointed respected, "... If more bright yusb, then without a microscope it does not see." And when you consider that laptops tend to be used in 1394 form factor mini (only data lines without + 5v), you will have an additional you to connect a second cable for the external power supply screw you. . . All the same USB!
06.12.2009 23:45:00
quote:
:

As has been rightly pointed respected, " if yusb quicker and smarter, then it is not without a microscope to see...." And when you consider that laptops tend to be used in 1394 form factor mini (only data lines without + 5v), then to the external power supply you have to screw further you to connect a second cable. . . All the same USB!

washing smushaet from USB is not just to give it effect, but apparently it is not a special
----
and interesting - whether experience with some sort of simple / inexpensive boxes, in the sense that we could not advise?
07.12.2009 0:37:00
quote:
:
bow to precast solution (screw + box), the screw-type Fujitsu MJA2320BH, c boxing has not yet decided (do not know if I will give something extra boxing is not for 250r).
Winch good.
That to be honest, at prices that want boxing for 1394 (. One of those two options, the cat you brought up), I would not even think - well, they nafik! Especially since both IEEE1394a interface with a bandwidth of 400Mbps / sec, compared to USB 2. 0 is 480Mbit / s. But in fairness, I must say that up equal to the amount of information a little bit, but IEEE1394a go faster due to less delay than that of USB 2. 0. Only the above, already sounded, a drop that is not seen when bekapirovanii. So it's safe to forget for IEEE1394a.
Total, left with two options boxes: pure USB and USB + eSATA. If T3 voiced about the backup and the faylohranilische in force, and the use of external Hardy as a full second hard not planned in the system, then generally there is only one option - USB. Because the use of an eSATA, besides the box, and require even buy pribludiny in EkspressKard slot.
same speed difference between USB and eSATA will be approximately 2 times 6, t. E., Actual ~ 22. 5 MB / s USB bandwidth to transfer screw ~ 60Mb / c (ie. A. Screw features below eSATA throughput capacity). For example, we have movie files 1. 5GB for usb it will fly for about 1 min, and a eSATA for about 25sec. .. All around, because in reality, it depends also on the implementation, firewood, etc.
And once again, I'm sure that, in general, for backup / faylopomoyki, USB - a sufficient solution.
P. s. my second most frequently used box - AgeStar_SUB2O1Blue no raises no objections (color does not count ).
07.12.2009 12:00:00
quote:
:
Thank you. All more or less clear, if the box with eSATA is no preference / recommendations?
----
and boxing to which reference has been AgeStar_SUB2O1 is given, from him which color is dark or light blue (blue)?
07.12.2009 12:35:00
quote:
:
quote:
:
Thank you. All more or less clear, if the box with eSATA is no preference / recommendations?
----
and boxing to which reference has been AgeStar_SUB2O1 is given, from him which color is dark or light blue (blue)?
If the box with an eSATA, given the inevitability of purchase "controller adapter" into the slot EkspressKard preference I would have given a box of the same name (the same) manufacturer. In order to avoid the unlikely, but still problems. Let there be a single firm, and "Controller Adapter" and the box. If you look at NIX "have, it would be such a bunch of:.. Orient_205C_U2ES_HDD_External_Case_USB2 0_eSATA + Orient_EX-1SATA_Adapter
With regard to color a simple USB box, it blue-blue, bright, in general, I just showed" exactly in exactly "your box, but in general this model AgeStar_SUB2O1 three colors, blue, red and silver metallic, choose any.
Here today, I took himself another box, too AgeStar_SUB2O1, but silver. in the blue box lives WD1600BEVT drive in silver will live on an old Fujitsu MHW2080BH. Such is the "color differentiation" .
07.12.2009 12:51:00
Thank you again, there is simply no other color, so specified (where silver was purchased)? Over
boxing I will think can still take and eSATA, your decision is adequate (Adapter + Box), thank you very much
07.12.2009 13:06:00
quote:
:
there simply is no other color, so specified (where silver was purchased)?
Took in his home town, in the local store.
quote:
:
over boxing will think can still take and eSATA
Well, Good luck shopping!
07.12.2009 14:30:00
quote:
:
quote:
:
there simply is no other color, so specified (where silver was purchased)?
Took in his home town, in the local store.
quote:
:
over boxing will think can still take and eSATA
Well, Good luck shopping!

Thanks again. Do you experience a marked eSATA option is?
---
Cheap decisions subconsciously bit smushayut, used dirty tricks to look for.
07.12.2009 18:00:00
Tell me that it is better to take nouta for torrents, ie. Do not want to load the main screw in to the laptop.? Internet speed large - 100Mbps / 100Mbps. Take a box + screw to 500GB or ready to screw on the 500? What will priimuschestvo 3. 2. 5 to 5 (can speed and price)?
07.12.2009 18:34:00

Answer your question in duplicate, Select external hard drive, # 737
07.12.2009 21:01:00
quote:
:
You experience a marked eSATA option is?
No, no experience. Although the appropriate box has long been bought, try eSATA is not yet possible. I just stuck to buying the "controller-adapter". When a live specimen STLab C-230 Adapter Express Card 34mm-- eSATA 1port sold, I have not taken, embarrassed that he strongly favors nouta dimensions. Then the thought that if you find a format option Express Card 54mm, then perhaps it will be less than the projecting part (such as a TV-tuner, the tuner does not 54mm sticks out of the body). And now, in a living selling 34mm and no, there is only an option with delivery from Moscow, from which I was a little twists. . .
07.12.2009 22:35:00
clear, I just want a relatively robust solution still screw very important part of the system. . .
Orient controversial decision, especially pins month warranty
08.12.2009 14:23:00

and the Vidocq him. . . plasmasska some. Of all that yuzal best - Vantec NexStar3 . Anyway, hard it is heated less than Sarotech and Agestar. Used in conjunction with STLab C-230 Adapter Express Card / 34mm - & gt; eSATA 1port
08.12.2009 21:30:00
quote:
:
[/ s]
And cheap simple boxes that you have a USB dual power supply? And do not fall box with an optional power supply unit?

quote:
:

and the Vidocq him. . . plasmasska some. Of all that yuzal best - Vantec NexStar3 . Anyway, hard it is heated less than Sarotech and Agestar. Used in conjunction with STLab C-230 Adapter Express Card / 34mm - & gt; eSATA 1port

Thank you, but at the moment it is not available.
08.12.2009 22:24:00

at the moment it is not available.
But it available clones .
And do not worry about the food - in recent years hdd managed to cope with his onetime gluttony.
Many vendors are finally fed with their external drives chezez cord with a plug. HP, for example.
So take the body with a Y-cable and hard 5400 of the new series - all will be quickly and quietly.

and do not fall box with an optional power supply unit?
are boxes with pin connector for power supply + 5V and the same cable with the usb-connector at the other end - true for esata.
's only Lord deliver you from using cheap ketayskih power supplies - most certainly they sozhgug hard than hard burn port.

08.12.2009 22:40:00
quote:
:

at the moment it is not available.
But it available clones .
And do not worry about the food - in recent years hdd managed to cope with his onetime gluttony.
Many vendors are finally fed with their external drives chezez cord with a plug. HP, for example.
So take the body with a Y-cable and hard 5400 of the new series - all will be quickly and quietly.

and do not fall box with an optional power supply unit?
are boxes with pin connector for power supply + 5V and the same cable with the usb-connector at the other end - true for esata.
's only Lord deliver you from using cheap ketayskih power supplies - most certainly they sozhgug hard than hard burn port.

I'm talking about something that has not got Vantec NexStar3 (at no nix)

branded ORIENT way that is sold (who does it all)?

about the food I just warned (I watched the characteristics of screws, there is a noticeable power
08.12.2009 22:41:00
quote:
:
And cheap simple boxes that you have dual USB power? And do not fall box with an optional power supply unit? There
lace Y-shaped. Photo laid. Mini-USB - stuck in a box, the USB red - add. nutrition, and the last on the power and data transfer. E. If there is no power, the drive does not start, tuck in little red (in practice did not take even once, except when it was necessary to connect to a cord, extension cord usb 1. 8m).
In that box, which is a discussion eSATA external containers for 2. 5 "HDD, # 1589, in addition to the Y-shaped cord, there is one more: USB- & gt; eg & gt; round plug (like old Nokiyah) But in order. with the power supply... have not seen this happens probably only in boxes on 3. 5 "discs (there zhezh like 12v still necessary, but they do not get out of the usb).
08.12.2009 23:13:00
Thank you, the lead is more or less clear what right have power until very
---
this box you bought from us is not available
09.12.2009 0:03:00
quote:
:
a right to have food is not very
selected Fuji MJA2320BH, one USB will be sufficient in all operating modes, so it specs .
quote:
this box you bought from us is not available
why, and it Orient, there is a hole for the external PSU, here here seen, the left-most hole.
09.12.2009 0:20:00
Thank you, it's specs Toshiba, Fuji I think at all the same thing (that Fuji handed hdd Toshiba's news to me, missed)
---
and a power supply used?
---
Orient course the money is very tempting, but the site and the range of products they have on any bizarre
thank you very much
09.12.2009 1:07:00
quote:
:
thanks, it specs Toshiba, I think at the Fuji all the same (which Fuji has transferred hdd Toshiba's news to me, missed)
Yes, Fujitsu sold disk business from Toshiba, the manufacture of magnetic plates, too, someone sell and support Fujitsu Hardy are now on Toshiba, so Toshi with specs site.
quote:
:
unit and a power supply used?
fic knows. . There probably are, it is understandable that there should be at 5 volts and a current like. . . Yes, and I see no reason at normal hard court inside.
quote:
:
Orient course the money is very tempting, but the site and product line have a strange
here do not know. . . search query displays a lot of items and odd complaints not very visible. . . or they do not buy at all, or they do not break (fast anyway), I do not know how to interpret.
09.12.2009 14:51:00
Good afternoon.

Prompt please vneshnik which proved popular. 3k in
area whether it is possible to take it http: // shop. key. ru / shop / goods / 25840 / or is there a better option?

thanks
09.12.2009 18:48:00
quote:
:
http: // lurkmore. ru /% D0% 91% D1% 8B% D1% 81% D1% 82% D1% 80% D0 ... D0% BE% D0% B3% D0% BE

completely on
topic What does the price is determined - - a separate issue

quote:
:
Good afternoon.

Prompt please vneshnik which proved popular. 3k in
area whether it is possible to take it http: // shop. key. ru / shop / goods / 25840 / or is there a better option?

thanks

under USB if you can buy a box and screw on the 320 GB budget 2000P area, the options listed here
09.12.2009 21:06:00

and that there is a review on the Orient on the F-center? It is interesting to read, have a link.
09.12.2009 21:18:00
quote:
:
and that there is a review on the Orient on the F-center? It is interesting to read, have a link.

http: // www. fcenter. ru / products. shtml? eshop / act = h: a: 0 ... amp; oper = 79,270::: :
Section reviews
09.12.2009 21:42:00

and that there is a review on the Orient on the F-center?
There's just super, "can not format a clean screw does not work with file systems other than FAT.". (C) (Reviews).
09.12.2009 21:50:00
quote:
:

and that there is a review on the Orient on the F-center?
There's just super, "can not format a clean screw does not work with file systems other than FAT.". (C) (Reviews).

there are a lot of reviews, of course all you need to filter, but there is a certain pattern
09.12.2009 22:20:00
quote:
:
there are a lot of reviews, of course all you need to filter, but there is some picture
yes. . Not "ice".
Pages: 1 2
HDD, SSDForum → External hard drive for use with a laptop (USB / eSATA / IEEE1394)

External hard drive for use with a laptop (USB / eSATA / IEEE1394)